Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fashion Inspiration from the Nordic Sami People

The other day here in downtown Philadelphia I fell prey to some enchanting Free People tops and visited the neighboring Urban Outfitters too. Only this one dress there really caught my eye, Staring at Stars Linen Blanket Stripe Dress:


The reason it struck a chord with me is that it resembles the traditional Sami dress so much. Sami (or Saami) are the indigenous people of Lapland in northern Finland, Sweden and Norway. Being from Finland, I felt this dress would be like wearing a national costume when I live my life here in the US.





A Swedish designer Emma Lundgren drew inspiration for her latest collection 'Samilight' from her Nordic roots and the Sami clothing. Cool thing about her pieces is that they're made from recycled and sustainable materials like wool, wood, cupcake molds (!!) and such.





I'm visiting Finland in July and hoping I'll find some awesome, original, old Finnish or Sami jewelry, fabrics and clothes... for myself and for the store as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment